Help for Licensed UK Schools, Sixth Form and FE Colleges during closures due to COVID-19
Date: 9 April 2020
We are delighted to announce that following consultation with our members and educational publishers, we are temporarily increasing the copying limits in our licence from 5% to 30%. This will apply until 31st July or when institutions re-open, whichever is the sooner, to make it easier for teachers and students to access remote learning resources during this difficult period.
These changes to the licence terms mean that teachers can
- copy up to 30% of a print book, including scanned book content held on the school or college VLE
- use books owned personally by teachers in addition to school-owned books up to the 30% limit.
Teachers that are registered to use CLA’s Education Platform will now be able to copy up to 30% of any digital book available on the Platform. This is an increase from the current limit of 5%,
We believe that this initiative from CLA and its members, with special acknowledgement to the generosity of education publishers, provides the much-needed support that schools, colleges and individual educators need in delivering remote learning to pupils.
If you have any questions please contact us at email@example.com
Important conditions apply
- To monitor usage, teachers will need to record details of any copies that they make under these new terms via a simple web-form.
- These changes to licence terms are effective until 31st July or when institutions re-open, whichever is the sooner. After that date the Licence Terms will revert to the original terms and the copying limit will be 5%, or one chapter, whichever is the greater. Any material that has been posted on a VLE must be taken down when the Terms revert or by 31st July as applicable.
- Publishers may exclude their works from these new terms but there are currently no exclusions.
- Licensees are reminded that workbooks, work cards or assignment sheets intended for a student to write on and for once only use continue to be excluded from the CLA licence and cannot be copied.
- Copying under these temporary arrangements should not substitute for the purchase of original content, including a digital edition of the same book where this is available.