Higher Education licence terms relaxed during COVID-19 crisis
CLA is delighted to announce that following consultation with its members and educational publishers, we will be temporarily relaxing key terms of the Higher Education Licence until 30 June, or sooner if institutions re-open, to give academics, libraries and students increased access to learning resources during this difficult period.
There are two changes:
- We will relax the requirement for an HEI to own an original – this will enable them to make use of any extract held in the Digital Content Store (DCS) or where the original is owned by an academic.
- We have increased the extent limit for copying from print books so institutions can copy up to 30% or 3 chapters, whichever is the greater, instead of the current 10%. This applies to books published by participating publishers only.
We believe that this initiative from CLA and its members, with acknowledgement to the generosity of educational publishers, provides the much-needed support that higher education institutions need to deliver remote learning to students.
Important conditions apply
Both amendments apply only where no digital edition is available through commercial channels, and only until 30 June 2020 or when institutions re-open, whichever is sooner. Please see our FAQs around works that are commercially available in digital format here.
These temporary extent limits apply to print books only, and specifically exclude anthologies, plays or poetry.
- The changes to licence terms are effective to 30 June 2020. After that date the Licence Terms will revert to the original terms and the copying limit will revert to 10%.
- All usage will be monitored through the DCS or other approved workflow system provider and all extracts uploaded under this special provision must be removed from the DCS or equivalent system once these emergency terms no longer apply or by 30 June 2020 at the latest.
- Copying under these temporary arrangements should not substitute for the purchase of original content, including a digital edition of the same book where this is available.