What is EHESS?
We have partnered with the British Library to deliver an efficient, cost-effective and streamlined document supply service for all UK Higher Education Institutions (HEIs): the Enhanced Higher Education Supply Service, or EHESS.
With EHESS, HEIs are able to take advantage of:
- Copyright-fee-paid (CFP) or scan-only options
- Digital Rights Management (DRM)-free material
- Scans of high quality using preservation-standard workflow
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR) as standard
- Full metadata
- Most scans are delivered within 48 hours
What does the service cost?
|Current Rates||Pay Monthly||Advance Payment|
|Born digital||£5.80 plus copyright fee||£5.80 plus copyright fee|
|CFP supply from print||£9.80 plus copyright fee||£9.00 plus copyright fee|
|Outsourced scanning from print||£9.80||£9.00|
|Rates from 1 August 2022||Pay Monthly||Advance Payment|
|Born digital||£6.10 plus copyright fee||£6.10 plus copyright fee|
|CFP supply from print||£10.30 plus copyright fee||£9.45 plus copyright fee|
|Outsourced scanning from print||£10.30||£9.45|
*All prices are + VAT. Please note, if you choose to pay in advance the minimum deposit amount for the advance payment option is £150.00 + VAT.
Note for existing users: We have recently moved to a new system and the way our EHESS invoices look has changed. These invoices are no longer itemised so they should be viewed in conjunction with the transaction history, which you can view when logging in here: https://accountlogin.cla.co.uk/login
Your username is the same as your email address or the generic email address that was used to set up your login for this service. You can reset your password by clicking on the ‘Forgotten password’ link anytime. If you have any questions on this, please get in touch.
Invoices are issued monthly and include a total of charges for all transactions from the previous month. We can add one PO number per monthly invoice.
How do I get started?
To get your EHESS account set up, all you have to do is return the EHESS Agreement, together with some additional details. Follow our step-by-step guide below:
1. Download and print the Agreement, sign it and email a scanned copy to email@example.com
2. In your covering correspondence, please indicate to CLA:
- Your existing British Library account number (if applicable)
- If you would like to pay monthly, or pay in advance. If paying in advance, indicate the sum to be deposited. Please note the minimum payment is £150.00 + VAT.
3. Please note:
- If you currently have a deposit with the British Library, please contact them to discuss a possible refund. Deposits with the British Library cannot be used against your EHESS purchases.
- If you order your content (CFP or outsourced scanning) via a third party such as the Digital Content Store, you will need to alert that third party of your change to EHESS.
Once we have received your returned agreement, we will be in touch with your account and log in details.
If you want to know more about what EHESS is and how it works, have a look at our FAQs.
Pay CFP Pilot
For HEIs that wish to pay a copyright fee to purchase digitised extracts where a scan has already been sourced from the CLA Digital Content Store (DCS) or elsewhere, this service is available from the British Library on a pilot basis until 31 July 2022. Requests should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information can be found here
Please note that the pilot will end on the 31st of July 2022 and will not be extended. If you need to pay the copyright fee for a scan that you have sourced elsewhere, please contact the publisher direct or try PLSClear.
Get in touch
If you have any queries relating to setting up your account you can call us on 020 7400 3171
Or if you just want to know more about the service and how it works then contact us